Thursday, January 26, 2012

from "Song of the Open Road"

I inhale great draughts of space,
the east and the west are mine, and the north and the south
                     are mine.

I am larger, better than I thought,
I did not know I held so much goodness.

...

Allons!  whoever you are come travel with me!
Traveling with me you find what never tires.

The earth never tires,
The earth is rude, silent, incomprehensible at first, Nature is
                     rude and incomprehensible at first.
Be not discouraged, keep on, there are divine things well
                     envelop'd,
I swear to you there are divine things more beautiful than
                     words can tell.

Allons! we must not stop here,
However sweet these laid-up stores, however convenient this
                    dwelling we cannot remain here,
However shelter'd this port and however calm these waters
                   we must not anchor here,
However welcome the hospitality that surrounds us we are
                   permitted to receive it but a little while. 

...

Allons! the inducements shall be greater,
We will sail pathless and wild seas,
We will go where winds blow, waves dash, and the Yankee
                    clipper speeds by under full sail.
                                                                  -Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

No comments:

Post a Comment